Friday, March 14, 2008

A Blessed Easter - but why did Jesus have to suffer?‏

Dearest Ones,

Lent isn't over, so take advantage of this time of great graces and experience the healing power of the cross. I hope you can attend the Holy Week services, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil on Sat. Each year, when Holy Week comes along, I try to make some sense of what happened to Jesus. Was it God's will for Jesus to suffer? Think about this. It was satan who gave Judas the idea to betray Jesus. And it was Pilate who held that awful kangaroo court. Surely it was the devil who must have incited those drunken soldiers to beat Jesus. They pulled his beard out. They struck him with rods. Who knows what else they did to him in that back room. How can any of these things be God's will? We say the cross was part of God's plan, but we may forget it included evil things like torture, murder and injustice. How could God allow torture? I can see the devil being involved - but God? If there was any way other than sending His Son to die, in order for us to get to heaven, God would have found it. There is no other way. In the Book of Acts, it says, "Judas and the rest of the bad ones, did what God's power and will had decided beforehand should happen." God is in control. He doesn't take his hands off the wheel for a second. He permits things he hates - really hates - to accomplish something he loves. He allowed the devil to instigate the crucifixion all because he had in mind our good. The world's worst murder became the world's only salvation because God wants us in heaven with Him. To me, this means there are no accidents. God permits something he hates - maybe it's an illness, loss of a loved one or loss of a job, all because He wants us to grow closer to Him and to trust Him. Some good always comes from something bad that happens. With every Good Friday, there is also an Easter Sunday following close behind! Without the Resurrection, Christ's death on the cross would have been meaningless -a total failure. Just another failed leader dead. We wouldn't be wearing crosses or have a crucifix in our homes, if not for Jesus rising from the dead. Things didn't end with the death of Jesus. God knew this all the time. The devil was so sure he had won and then Jesus pulled off the greatest April Fool's joke ever, when He rose from the dead! Everything changed. Those who were crying because of his death are now rejoicing. Here He is, alive and well. He still had the wounds in his hands and feet, but he didn't feel them anymore. He promised He would rise again after three days but people either forgot or didn't believe Him. Because of His death, the entire human race is now able to enter heaven. Because Jesus rose, we too, will rise from the dead some day! In His glorified body, He lives on in us. Isn't that thrilling? How glorious for you and me! We have something to look forward to - unending love in Our Father's house. All the pain and sorrow of this life will be gone.

At the Last Supper on the night before He died, Jesus spent several hours telling his followers how much He loved them, saying: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. I go to prepare a place for you. Where I am going, I want you to be, too. I no longer call you servants, I call you friends. A friend tells you all his secrets. Whatever my Father has told me, I have told you. I am the vine; you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." (Jn ch 15) How beautiful? He didn't hold anything back. "Now you will have sorrow, but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your JOY no one will take from you." And this is what Easter is all about! Jesus wants us to be happy. Joy is the major sign of a Christian! My dearest ones, take up your cross and trust that Jesus is carrying it with you, until all your sorrow is turned to Joy!

The novena (nine days of prayer) begins on Good Friday in preparation for Mercy Sunday, March 30. In 1931, Jesus appeared to Sr. Faustina, a Polish nun, asking her to tell the world to intercede for sinners, by praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Mercy is forgiveness which is undeserved. These are His words: "Tell the world about my mercy. I wish the first Sunday after Easter to be Mercy Sunday all over the world. Souls are lost in spite of my bitter passion. I am giving them the last hope of salvation - my mercy. If they will not adore my mercy, they will suffer for all eternity. Pray the Chaplet of Mercy for them." If you would like to know how to pray the Chaplet and the Novena, go to Divinemercy.com.

In our glorious Risen Christ,
Sister Francelle

No comments: