Friday, May 22, 2009

"Bless those who curse you." (Matt 5:44)

Dearest ones,

Recently, I read about a woman who had this unusual reaction to vandals in her home: "I had some visitors in my summer house. They looted all the rooms, leaving an incredible mess. I blessed them. They helped themselves to my food. I blessed them. They also stole my camera and my alarm clock. I blessed them. They broke a window and two doors. I blessed them. They do not have a home. I do. So I blessed them. They are now in prison, having raided in like manner 15 houses. When I pass a prison now, mentally, I bless its inmates." It may seem ridiculous to bless those who trashed your house, but this woman was following the command of Jesus, "Bless those who curse you." (Matt 5:44) The minute anyone shows the least unkindness to you, if you respond with a blessing, peace will enter your heart. I know this may be the hardest thing you will ever do. I know I find it hard - but it is the only road to peace. Just what does it mean to bless others? It means to wish them well: in their health, in their family relations and their life in general. Blessing means to wish from the bottom of the heart, the very best for that person - it means to wish them deepest happiness. It is actually all about the power of thoughts.Roger (last name withheld), who has been sixteen years on death row in Texas for a crime he never committed, described the terrible prison conditions, the harassment by the wardens, the freezing cold cells, and the terrible food. He wrote how he dealt with it in these words: "I was ready to explode. I prayed, but for some reason, I could not find comfort in my prayers. Finally, after reading in my Bible, the words of Jesus, 'Bless those who curse you,' I began to wonder what would happen if I blessed all these people, to bless them and their families, to bless their financial life, their spiritual life, every aspect of their lives. And...very gently, very slowly, the weight began to lift from my shoulders, not all at once, but gradually. And now, every morning, when I wake up, the first thing I do is bless them, and again in the middle of the day, and when I go to sleep at night. My world began to change." When I bless someone, I am filled with a comforting feeling. I know I cannot enter the kingdom of heaven until I am ready to take everyone else in with me, so I must bless everyone. To bless is to wish from the deepest part of the heart, good things for others. To bless is to ask God to care for them. One cannot grow spiritually as long as one is in the habit of judging others. It is impossible to bless and judge at the same time. Trials are blessings in disguise. When something goes completely wrong in your day, when some unexpected event upsets your plans, try blessing those involved. For life is teaching you a lesson. As you walk or drive, bless the city or region in which you live, its children, its workers, bankers and everyone. When you pass a hospital, bless its patients in their suffering. A blessing can take many shapes - a hug, a tone of voice, a word or a glance. What makes it a blessing is the attitude in our hearts. How beautiful when a parent blesses a child before he leaves for school. When meeting people bless them in their health, their work, their finances, etc. They won't know in this world why suddenly their life is better - but it will be because of you. Jesus gives meaning to our blessing. For example, Jesus said that those who had a pure heart would see God everywhere (Matt 5:1-12). He went on to say that numerous blessings would come to those who bless others. It is a good idea when waking up each morning to bless the day. If someone is burdened with resentment toward one who has hurt them, they will discover that by blessing those who caused their suffering, they will soon be completely free of bitterness or revenge. What if everyone blessed everyone else? What a grand world we would have! I think teaching children how to bless others should be taught in the schools. It would change the world!!

Lord, give us a loving heart and mind,
Sr. Francelle

No comments: