Dearest Ones,
The end of the year is always a time of reflection, when you review what's happened and look forward to what's to come. As I think about the future, I'll make these promises to my loving God:
Dear God: I will find Your love in everyone I meet and may my eyes always try to find You hidden in others. I ask for the patience to be a person of peace and show respect for all your children, especially the down and out, those who are hurting, afraid or worried. Keep me close and never let me stray from You. I will forgive all who have hurt me and I ask Your forgiveness for all whom I may have hurt. Amen.
As you reflect on the events of 2010, what is it you remember most? What memories do you treasure? The best blessings in life generally don't have anything to do with wealth. Maybe there were special moments you will always treasure - a wedding, a new baby, a graduation, a new job, time spent with friends or family, etc. As I look back, I treasure the quiet times spent in prayer that gave me joy. Times when I realized God loves me. It's easy to say "God loves me," but to really believe it takes a lot of effort. I have to say it many, many times a day in order to really believe it.
One of the verses I hold on to is Proverbs 3:5-6, which says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." When I need to make a decision and I can't decide what to do, I recall that verse.
This past year was very challenging for many people, not only economically but spiritually, too. For some, their faith grew immensely because they had no other choice than to rely on God - and He proved absolutely faithful. Troubled times can be unexpected treasures! What trial or difficulties did He carry you through or is He currently helping you overcome? Nothing is too hard for him - especially when things seem hopeless. You may want to write down some of these priceless treasures God has provided- those which seemed like troubles at the time, but brought you closer to God. Just as He worked powerfully in the past, He is sure to help you again. Trust Him and learn from what He showed you in 2010, because that will make 2011 a joyful and meaningful year.
At the hospital I wished a young man a "Happy New Year" and his response was: "It can't be worse than last year!" Then he proceeded to tell me of the accident in which he and his wife were severely injured, lifelong injuries, including financial losses - it wasn't his fault, but they were not wearing seat belts and all the mess that goes with that. I prayed with him and he did end up smiling, saying it could have been worse. I'm sure he has many fears for the future but I told him Jesus can overcome any feelings of resentment and fear.
There will be many people in your life this year who will not measure up to your expectations. It may be your boss, your spouse or your children. But you've got to learn to accept circumstances and forgive people. Jesus said that if you want mountains to be moved in your life you must "forgive anything you may have against anyone." -Mark 11:22-25.
Resentments are deadly. They can destroy a person. What happens TO us in life is unimportant; it's what happens IN us that counts. We can handle conflicts we have with people in three ways. We can be resentful and bitter, asking "Why me?" We can give in to resignation, a "whatever will be will be" attitude. Or we can forgive as Jesus did. "Rejoice always, pray at all times, be thankful in all circumstances." - 1 Thes. 5:16-18. Don't nurture your bitterness: Christ has overcome the world!
Recently, a friend sent an email saying that one of her family members has not been on speaking terms with the rest of her family for five years - she stopped going to church - all this happened shortly after she was married. Now, she just found out she has cancer and is begging her family to fast and pray for her. She needs her family. The cancer is spreading throughout her body. It looks like God is using the cancer to bring her back to Him.
Most people are afraid. Fear is what we feel in real or imagined danger. This year, face your fears - it helps to talk them over with a friend. Replace your fear with faith - it is the only known cure. Love is the remedy for fear: that is why Jesus refers to love so much. Don't give in to your fears -" perfect love casts out fear." We cannot tell what joys and sorrows lie ahead. Trust only. The Father comes to take our hand and lead us to a good and blessed New Year!
All my love and prayers,
Sister Francelle
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment