Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How One Man Made A Difference

Dearest Ones,

For me, the 4th of July used to mean fireworks, picnics and family reunions. However, when I got older, I began to realize the real meaning, which is far more than fireworks, etc. I learned the true meaning when I read about Caesar Rodney, a delegate from Delaware. In the early years of this country, there were 13 colonies owned by England. England imposed unjust taxes on the people and they began to object. They did not think this was fair because they had no voice in their government. Because they were not listened to, the colonies felt they had no choice except to rebel and to declare their independence.

Each colony, according to population, elected representatives which met together in 1776 to decide what to do. It was a great risk to try to break away from the strongest country in the world, England. But many thought it was the only way out. John Hancock, in charge of the meeting, said unless the vote was unanimous, in which all the colonies agree, they would not rebel against England.

There were three delegates from Delaware, one of whom was Caesar Rodney. This man was the hard-working son of an Episcopalian minister and became a judge in Delaware at an early age. He was a bachelor, a good Christian, respected and honest. It so happened that at the time the vote was taken to rebel against the rule of England - the two delegates from Delaware, who were present were split in their vote. One was in favor of leaving England and the other was not. Caesar Rodney, the third delegate from Delaware, was away on business, but was summoned to come to the meeting in order to break the tie. He was 80 miles away. He rode his horse all night and when he arrived he was so tired and sick, he had to be carried into the place of voting. He had cancer of the face for many years, which disfigured him so badly, he had to wear a scarf over the lower part of his face.

He did cast his vote in favor of breaking away from England and so the Declaration of Independence became official on July 4, 1776 - the Birthday of the United States! This shows the power of one man's vote - without it, the vote would not have been unanimous and the colonies would not have declared their independence.

It's hard for me to realize the courage it took for these men to sign this Declaration. Of the 58 delegates, 5 were captured and tortured by the British; 12 had their homes burned; and 9 died in the war. Rodney died at the age of 56 after having sacrificed so much for the love of his country. He was unable to seek proper medical attention for his cancer from English doctors because of the rebellion. I will be forever grateful to these brave men!

The declaration of independence signed by these men was not independence from God. They made sure this was to be a nation"under God!" It's up to us to keep it that way. Why are there such an alarming number of suicides now among young people in our country? Every 100 minutes, a teenager in the US commits suicide. Is it because God is left out of their lives? Have they forgotten the words of Jesus, "Come to me all you who are heavily burdened and I will give you rest?"

Someone gave me this poem, which made me think of Caesar Rodney and the other signers. I encourage you to read it carefully to see if the Lord is speaking to you.

I want you to face the mountain
so that you can see,
when the mountain is out of the way
all there is left is Me.
Only I can move the mountain,
only I can push it away,
only I can conquer the problems
that you face today.
Your only job is to believe, to listen
to My voice,
And when you hear what I command
obedience is your choice.
But I will not make it too difficult
for the victory is already mine,
And I will fill you with My Spirit and through
you My grace will shine.
Not when you are perfect,
like you think you need to be,
but when your heart is willing to become more
and more like Me.

All my love and prayers,
Sister Francelle

No comments: