Wednesday, August 10, 2011

God Answers Prayers


Dearest Ones,

Prayer is one of the hardest things in the world to do, but it's also the most important. It's much easier to talk about prayer or to read about it, than to do it. If I'm not careful, I can catch myself watching the priest pray at the altar, while attending Mass, instead of praying myself. When I was little, I shot prayers to God, like He was slot machine. As I grew older, I realized prayer also included listening and "letting go." Now, I know prayer is loving God, too. How God longs for our love - this is the most important thing I have learned about prayer.

There are three stages in prayer: the first stage is when we don't pray unless we feel like praying. This stage is the imperfect stage. Feelings come and go - if I only prayed when we felt like it, I might never pray.

The second stage of prayer is more advanced. It is when we trust God is hearing our prayer, even when we have no feelings.

The third stage is when we believe God is listening and working in our lives, when everything seems to be going dead wrong. It is when the people, the circumstances and even human reason give us every reason to doubt God's very existence. This is the time when we need blind trust. It's easy to pray when our friends are true to us, when we are comfortable and there are no storm clouds in the sky.

But it is hard to trust, when we stand alone, and when every prop is gone, except God. Is your soul troubled? Is there no joy or sunshine in your heart? When all seems cold and dead, this is the time to trust. Trust in God, He is always there for us. Lack of trust is not believing God loves me. Prayer is a beautiful way of showing Love toward God.

In every prayer, the three blessed Persons in the Trinity, the Father, His Son, Jesus and the holy Spirit are involved. Isn't that exciting? Our dearest friend, Jesus, is our great intercessor - He takes every prayer, no matter how imperfect, and hands it to His Father. He prays with us, as He offers it. Jesus goes to the heart of the Father and pleads for us, He holds up our name in the palm of His hands, and begs for a blessing. The Holy Spirit has much to do with our prayers, because He encourages us to pray for God's wisdom in all our problems. The Spirit even prays within us when we don't clearly know what to pray for. (Romans 8:26) But we must ask Him.

Some people have a take it or leave it attitude toward prayer, If we don't get the answer we want right away, we stop praying. Jesus said, "Ask. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door will be opened." We ought always to keep praying. Pray without ceasing. If we don't get an answer right away, we need to keep praying. Pray with fire!

We pray, sometimes, with half-heartedness. We think, maybe He'll answer our prayer. Jesus prayed with tears and blood in the garden, He was so intense when He prayed. Prayer is hard work. Prayer is harder than singing, and harder than talking. The devil laughs when we talk about prayer, but he trembles when we really pray with intensity. We need to learn how to pray deeply - we have to mean it! That will make the devils tremble. With all our heart, we have to pray. We need to pray until we feel like it.

"Whenever two or three are gathered in prayer, there am I in the midst of them." (Matt. 18:20) What a promise! How could we not pray when we have a promise like that! If you have trouble praying, don't give up on it - keep asking that Jesus will help you to pray.

Be specific when you pray. Keep track of the prayers that have been answered. Don't forget to thank God for answered prayers. This is so important. We can't go it alone in this world. If your parents didn't teach you how to pray, then learn how to do it by yourself.

I don't always feel like praying, but God can help me with these feelings. I need all of heaven to help me when I pray. Everything we do should be saturated with prayer. Before we begin our work, say a prayer. When the children leave for school, bless them and say a prayer with them.

"You will find me if you seek me with all your heart." -Jeremiah 29:13. Don't give up because God does keep His promises - God does answer prayers!


With all my love and prayers,
Sister Francelle

No comments: