Wednesday, May 9, 2012

God is with you always by Kathy Jo Peterson


I write on the eve of the death of Sister Francelle Clarke.  Sister and I have been working on this letter for about 3 weeks and it did not come together until this past Sunday.

Sister Francelle lived her life for others. She focused on loving people, encouraging them, helping them to know God, serving them and praying with and for them. After Sister Francelle's stroke many of us heard her say, "I am no good." That was a hard thing to hear from someone who for so many of us, was a pillar of faith. We realized that this beautiful woman who had been the strong one for so many years to 100's of us now needed to hear us tell her what she told us so often:
God is with you always. You are created in His image. Trust Him during the storm. He knows every hair on your head. He carved you in the palm of His hand. He will never let go of your hand. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. God loves you. We love you. You are not alone.

We prayed with her, we prayed for her, we encouraged her, we held her hand and we reminded her that she was good. I made my third and last visit since her stroke this past weekend with my cousin David Sachse. As we left she looked at us and she said, "When I die you will smell roses." I looked at her and said, "now Sister, how can we smell roses if you are no good?" She looked at me for a few minutes and then she relaxed and said, "Then I must be good." We left her holding that truth.

On Monday afternoon Sister had another stroke. On Tuesday morning Sister Abbie Kennedy a very dear friend of 50 odd years to Francelle went to sit with her, hold her hand and pray. She read the Office Prayers that as a convent they pray daily. One line reads:
To know you, 0 God, is to possess eternal life.
As Abbie prayed with her, Sister Catherine came and joined them,  After they finished praying, Catherine said to Abbie, "I think she is gone." After I recieved the call that Sister had passed, I called my husband and asked that he bring home roses.  We put 24 small roses in vases all over the house.
I will spend my heaven on Earth doing good..I will let fall a shower of roses....

St. Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God's great love for me, so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day. Amen
I am so comforted that when she left this earth that she knew that she was as good as gold and a child of God and that her hand was being held. Thank you for being a part of this circle of love in the family of Sister Francelle.
The wake is Friday night at 7 and the funeral is Saturday at 2.

My cousin David committed to writing the next letter followed by my brother Ed and his wife Emily. I welcome you all to send me any thoughts, stories or letters and with your permission we will share with Sister's big family of God. It could be a discussion with Sister about your walk with God or about your personal faith journey and how Sister was a part of that. Let's keep these messages going!
Eternal rest grant unto Sr. Francelle, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Thank you Jesus! and God LOVES you...

No comments: