Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Battle of the Mind

Dearest Ones,

I wonder how many people realize the power in their minds. The mind is a battlefield, where the worst battles are fought. Our enemy's number one target is our thoughts. He knows if he'll be able to control how we think, he'll be able to control our entire life.

Thoughts determine our attitude and our actions. We need to be careful what we think about. We attract what we think. If we think negative, depressing thoughts, we will attract negative people to us. If we think positive, happy thoughts, we're going to attract happy, upbeat people. Our thoughts and attitudes are catching - just like we want to stay away from people with the flu virus, so most people stay away from negative people.

Many don't realize we choose our thoughts. Nobody can make us think about something. Nobody makes you depressed. We decide what to put into our minds. It's true, certain bad things may have happened to us and we will probably never forget them, unless we have brain damage, but we can refuse to dwell on those ugly things. We can substitute happy thoughts, instead. When negative thoughts come to me, I try to fill my mind with God's love instead; I try to thank Him for the endless blessings He gives each day. It takes a lot of effort but it's worth it!

Some people say: "If you knew my environment when I was growing up, you would understand why I am depressed." Your circumstances don't get you down, it is your thoughts about the circumstances that have you down. Tough times come to all of us. Jesus said, "In this life you will have trouble, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." (John 16:13) He wasn't saying troubles wouldn't come, he was saying we can choose our attitude towards it. Some say, "As soon as this mess clears up, I'll have a better attitude." That's not going to happen. We must cheer up first, then God will turn the situation around.

St. Paul must have struggled with negative thoughts, but he learned what to do. He says, "Set your mind on higher things. Whatever things are true, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely - think about these things." (Phil 4:8)

Learn to look for the best in every situation. No matter what you're going through, if you look hard enough and keep the right attitude, you can find something good. We need to say, "God, I know you are in control of my life, and when one door closes, you always open a bigger and better door. Father, I can't wait to see what you have in store for me."

If we have been thinking negative thoughts for a long time, there may be a deep trench in our mind, a path made by these bad thoughts. If we are in the habit of being negative, others know what we are going to say before we say it. But we have the power to reprogram our minds and build a new path for our thoughts. If we choose faith instead of fear, little by little those negative paths will disappear.

Before you started thinking positive, you may have had discouraging thoughts, such as, "I'm never going to make it, my problems are too big. What am I going to do?" But now, if you have learned new paths, you will say, "I will do all things through Christ, and I'm counting on this."

You are setting the direction of your life with your thoughts. The choice is up to you. How can you tell if thoughts are from God? If it is negative, it is from your enemy. If it makes you feel weak and insecure, you can be sure it is not from God. The Bible says, "Cast out every wrong thought - take it captive." (2 Cor. 10:5) This means, don't dwell on it. Get over it.

God has made it clear that there is one thing we don't have control of - that's our future. Most of our fears are about our future, but that belongs to God alone. God has forbid us to worry about that!

The enemy says you don't have what it takes. God says you do. Whom are you going to believe? God tells us the answer. He says He will turn our problems around and use them for our good. Think God's thoughts, not those of the enemy. I need to ask God many times a day to turn my thoughts toward Him and away from the enemy.

Make room for God's love in your hearts,
Sister Francelle

No comments: