Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Mass: "Heaven on Earth!"‏

Dearest Ones,

Ever since I can remember, I have been going to Mass. As a child, I went with my parents every Sunday - I didn't understand it, but I knew it must be something very holy because we couldn't talk or turn around in church. I knew it was important to my parents, because even at sub-zero temperatures in a raging blizzard, my Father would walk the three miles to Mass when the car wouldn't start. Often, I saw tears in my Mother's eyes. I believe that when the priest prays over the bread and wine, it becomes the Body and Blood of Jesus. Jesus is really alive and present. This is why the Mass is "heaven on earth." I love the Mass, even though I don't really understand it any better now than when I was a child, but I don't understand how God could become a man, either. A lot of things I don't understand but Jesus never said we must understand - He only said to believe. The Mass is a mystery no one understands a mystery. Why do some, who have gone to Mass for many years as children, decide to stop going when they reach adulthood? Statistics show that 80% of those going to college, either lose their faith or abandon it temporarily. When young people leave home, every one of their values is challenged. It's very hard to remain true to one's values when it seems those around them are doing what feels good. Young people find out everything in the textbooks is not true and not everything the professors say is true, either. I know many parents, who are grieving because their children no longer go to church. What can parents do, especially when they have done their best to give good example? I don't have a magic answer, except to continue giving good example, praying for them and loving them, without approving of what their children are doing. When Jesus walked this earth, He said to His followers, "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life and I will raise him up on the last day." (John 6) On hearing this, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" (Jn 6:60) Jesus heard them mumbling and turning to them, said, "Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you shall not have life in you." After this, many walked no more with Him. He didn't insist they listen to Him or run after them - he didn't say, "I didn't really mean that - you misunderstood." It was sad because he only had a few followers left. He turned to them and said, "Will you also go away?" Then Peter said, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words to eternal life." His true believers stayed with Him. At the Last Supper, the first Mass, Jesus gave His followers power to change bread and wine into His Body and Blood, when He said, "Do this in memory of Me." It wasn't a hard thing he gave them to do - it was very simple. He asked them to just repeat the words, "This is my Body, this is my Blood," over the bread and wine. These men were the first priests. Priests are not perfect and it's not right for us to expect them to be. Jesus works through human beings, who are always imperfect...but then, we aren't perfect either. The important thing is that priests, once they are ordained, have the power to bring Jesus to us! That is why we respect them. Some say they are bored at Mass or they "don't get anything out of it." We get what we put into it. Listen and follow along in the Missalette. The words are so beautiful, as the priest prays for the living and the dead, for the anxious, the fearful and those in desperation. At the beginning of Mass, I ask the Blessed Virgin Mary to help me be attentive, to help me deal with my many distractions. I know that wherever there is Mass, there are numerous angels and saints bowing in adoration around the altar. Just as they do in heaven and they are singing with us, "Glory to God in the highest" and "Holy, Holy, Holy." I don't have to see them, I just know they're there. That's why "heaven comes to earth" at Mass and that's why it is the greatest prayer on earth. So many saints and martyrs gave up their lives because they believed in the Mass. I'm not asked to suffer - I'm so fortunate - I can freely go to Mass. What did it cost Jesus to give us the Mass? It cost him His life! That's what it cost.That's why we don't go to Mass to be entertained or to watch a show, etc. We must get involved at Mass, which means to listen, to pray and give our problems to Jesus. We don't go to Mass to "feel good." It is what we believe that counts. We can choose to believe what Jesus taught or go with the unbelievers and ignore His words. The way we attend Mass, either inspires others or it might be a reason they stop coming to Mass. If we act bored or like we can't wait to get out of Church, looking at our watch, etc. we don't inspire anyone Greeting the people around us, saying "Good morning" and acting like you really care about them is so important. Be the first one to speak - don't wait for others to speak first. We are not alone at Mass - we depend on one another. Is it easier to look at the Sacred Host and believe it is truly Christ than it is for us to look at the person beside us and realize Christ is truly present in them? The Mass is all about love - what really matters most in going to Mass is that we become more loving.

Believe and Love,
Sister Francelle

No comments: