Friday, February 29, 2008

Confession - Jesus waits with open arms

Dearest Ones,

Confession is one of the most beautiful gifts from God. He has given priests the power to make us beautiful on the inside. St. Catherine of Sienna was given a vision of a soul that had just been made clean through confession, and she said it was more beautiful than anything she had ever seen in this world. A priest I know was asked if he didn't get tired of hearing people's sins all the time - his response was, "I never get tired of hearing people say they're sorry. I love it!" Although I go to confession every month, I find it is one of the easiest things to put off. If I wait until I feel like going, I probably would never go. Feelings aren't important - they come and go. It's what I know that counts. There is always something that seems more important, that's because the devil doesn't want me to go. He hates confession.Lent is an appropriate time to go to confession because Lent is all about forgiveness. I don't think anyone really enjoys going to confession, but when we receive God's grace and forgiveness through the priest, what a heavenly experience! I don't always feel forgiveness, but again that isn't important. Sure, it isn't fun to tell our sins to another, it takes a lot of humility. It isn't fun to go to the dentist, either, but what happens when we don't go? Our teeth rot! What a relief to hear the priest's words, "Your sins are forgiven you." The priest takes the place of God when he says we are forgiven. Before Jesus went to heaven, He gave his priests the power to forgive sins, when He said, "Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." I think of confession as "un-nailing" our Lord's hands because my sins surely nailed him to the cross. All of heaven rejoices when we go to confession. Imagine the happiness of Our heavenly Father when we confess. Just like the father of the prodigal son, God waits just for you, a robe draped on his arm, a ring in his hand and sandals for your feet. He waits patiently and when he sees you, runs with open arms, no questions asked, while he embraces you, calling you his beloved. The father in the parable never stopped loving his son, even forgot all about the pain his son had caused because he was so happy he had come home. Some people don't go to confession because they think they don't have any sins, which may be their greatest sin. God knows our sins, so why pretend we don't have any? Don't let the devil trick you, he may say, "You're no good. You'll only commit the same sins again. Why go?" Every time we confess, we get special grace not to commit the same sins again. Some think as long as they haven't murdered anybody, why go to confession? Just because you are not in the habit of murder does not mean you have not committed murder in your heart, by hating someone, murdering someone's reputation, or destroying their self-esteem.

These are some areas I use to examine my conscience:- do I think what I say or do is better than what others say or do?- have I been unforgiving toward anyone?- do I always want my own way? - think I'm perfect?- do I argue with stubbornness that I am right?- do I look down on another's point of view?- do I excuse myself when I have made a mistake?- am I sad when others are praised?- do I do anything in excess? overeat? talk too much? etc.- do I wish I had another's possessions, looks, etc.- do I hold grudges? have I held anger for anyone in my heart?- when I go to Mass, am I fulfilling an obligation or really praying & giving attention to what is going on?- have I lied or gossiped? It's all right if you need a pencil and paper to keep track of your sins. I've done that. Please don't be afraid. Priests go to confession, too. They're not going to be shocked. Pray to the Holy Spirit to help you make a good confession - then don't worry if you forget some of your sins. I love the sacraments and I love the Catholic Church, which provides a way to let God transform us. Jesus is waiting for you with open arms!

In God's love and mine,
Sister Francelle

No comments: