Friday, February 1, 2008

Lent 2008‏

Dearest Ones,

Recently, I was talking with my friend, a fascinating old man, who always wears a smile and makes me laugh with his jokes and walks to the hospital regularly for treatments. He lives alone in a nearby low-income building for seniors, where he and his sister, who also lives there, conduct a Bible study each week. They are now studying the book of Daniel. When he was a child, he was picked on and teased a lot, and as a consequence, he uses every chance he gets to build others up by encouraging them. He figures the Lord allowed him to endure persecution so he'd know how it feels. Now, he blesses others. "Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing." - 1 Thess 5:11 *****************************************************************************I look forward to the season of Lent with joy and excitement, because I know so many are going to get closer to Jesus. Lent prepares us for the greatest feast of all the year, the Resurrection, Easter Sunday! Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, February 6 and lasts for forty days, in memory of Jesus' forty days fast in the desert. The ashes we receive on our foreheads remind us, "we came from dust and unto dust we shall return." We are asked to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and on all Fridays in Lent. This is a small denial when you think of how much Jesus fasted to save us. As children, we gave up candy during Lent, not that it is bad, but it gave us practice in denying our own will. Saying "no" to ourselves in small things, such as, giving up sweets, refraining from expressing our opinion, having the last word, needing to be "right" always, not complaining, not blaming, etc., these all get us into the habit of "dying to self " - then, when something bigger comes along, such as saying "no" to sin, we can conquer. Each little self-denial brings us closer to Jesus. If we wish to follow Jesus, we have no choice except to deny ourselves because Jesus said, "Unless you deny yourself, pick up your cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciples." I know a family, who decided each member would do something kind each day during Lent, then at the evening meal, they share what they have done. If they can't think of anything they did, they share some kind act they saw someone else do. Ask God what He wants you to do to get closer to Him for Lent. If you have never been in the habit of daily prayer, quiet time all by yourself, you may want to consider this. Set aside a certain time for your prayer - 10, 15, 20 minutes. This may require less time for sleep, but decide the time for yourself, make sure there are no distractions. I like mornings because my mind isn't so full of distractions. What to do during your prayer is the next thing? First thing I do is surrender my day to Jesus, so He can do with me what He wants. I need to open my heart to let God's love in! It helps to listen to God instead of me doing all the talking. May His will be done, instead of mine. If Jesus spent entire nights in prayer, how much more do I need to pray. You may be sure the evil spirit will try to rob you of your prayer time. Don't let him steal the joy and peace Jesus wants to give you. When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He quoted Scripture, and the devil left Him. If the devil tempted Jesus, we can be sure he will tempt us, too. I have these Bible quotes ready when I'm tempted with distractions: "I live now not I, but Christ lives in me." "Apart from me, you can do nothing." "You did not choose me, I have chosen you." (John : ch 15) John: Chapter 15 says it all for me - it's my armor against the evil one! The hardest part of Lent is making up your mind what to do. If it helps, tell someone what you are going to do - might make you feel more responsible. As we walk the way of the cross with Jesus, may our hearts be transformed this Lent.

I love you,
Sister Francelle

No comments: