Dearest Ones,
I am getting settled in at our Motherhouse in Aberdeen, where I live with 40 other Sisters and what a blessing it is! I am surrounded by love, there is a chapel with 8 hours of adoration each day, so lots of opportunity to pray for the world. I get together with several other Sisters to pray the rosary and the chaplet. The beautiful roses are now opening up, so we are excited about that. I am feeling better and when I think of the soldiers' suffering, my little suffering is absolutely nothing. They are losing arms and legs, facing death every minute, while trying to keep their faith. Whatever our opinion of the war, our soldiers deserve our prayers and support. I am offering any little sufferings I may have for them.Some may think death is a strange topic to write about but death is of interest to everyone. We are all going to die and we all know loved ones who have died or who are dying. We're all facing death. What is there to fear in death? It means the end of the testing period here; it is going home to the Father. We are "visitors" on this earth, it's not our home. Death may be feared by those who do not believe, who have no hope. It's natural to want to live, but some people don't even want to talk about death or even go to funerals, which seems unnatural. We are sad because of separation from family and friends, but Christians believe in the resurrection and death is not the end. You cannot be a Christian and doubt that fact. We're all going to live forever somewhere. It's hard to know what to say when we are around someone who has lost a loved one. It may be better to say nothing - just listen, as it is so important that loved ones find someone who will listen to how they feel. Listening is hard work - it's hard to keep still. Some things are NOT good to say, such as: "I know how you feel." or "You'll get over this." or "He's in a better place." We don't know how anyone else feels and we really don't know where their loved one is. Someone recently told me that when her husband died, her friend said, "Do you think you can raise these three teenagers by yourself?" Needless to say - inappropriate!Death is the one thing we know for sure that is going to happen to all of us. Before the first Easter, people thought death was the end of everything. But Jesus rising changed all that. I get great comfort from the words of Jesus on the night before He died: "Let not your hearts be troubled, I go to prepare a place for you, so that where I am, you also may be." (John 14) It's exciting to know that right now He's actually getting ready for you and me to come home. He wants so much to be with us for all eternity. These words from James give insight and reason for hope: "You do not know what may happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away." (James 4:14) It's actually been my experience to feel even closer to the dead than to the living. I feel closer to my sister, Sr. M&M, who died a few years ago. I can talk to her anytime - I talk to her every day because I know she's up there praying for me. Often, I call on my Mother, who has been dead for many years, to help me and guide me. The saints are only a prayer away - waiting to help us on our long journey. They know how hard it is down here. St. Gemma once said, "Death is the sweetest thought in life, because it means going home to God." So many people are lost and weary in this world, all because we're not supposed to get too comfortable in this life. It's not our real life. God doesn't allow us to have everything we want here. Death is not an enemy or a thing to be dreaded. We can anticipate it daily, and even eagerly, because of our faith. We can prepare ourselves for it and embrace it gladly, in joy and peace, when at last we are called to our heavenly home. The thought of death does not terrify me because death must come to all; it is not an evil thing. I know I'm far from perfect, but that does not scare me - when I meet Jesus, I plan on embracing Him with a big hug and I'll say, "Well here I am. I know I'm not perfect, but You are and I put all my trust in Your sufferings and death to cover for my faults." I don't think He'll send me away. Jesus told us to trust and believe. Every day I pray that my faith will grow stronger because eternity depends on that. We Christians take joy in the fact that we will be together with our loved ones again, be free from the sorrows of this life and be at peace at last with God forever. In failure or in success, in health or sickness, in sorrow or joy, we must turn to God, trust in Him, abandoning in complete surrender to His holy will, in preparation for a future life with Him. The best preparation for death is to live in the present moment and to spread as much love as we can, for all of Life is meant to be LOVE! Jesus showed us that.
In God's holy will,
Sister Francelle
Friday, May 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment