Dearest Ones,
Do you worry? I am sure you do, because we all worry and get anxious at times. I know I do. But every time I worry, if I pray to the Holy Spirit, He brings me back to my sanity. I think it's only natural for people to worry, but St. Peter says, "Cast all your care on Him, because He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) Isn't that wonderful? If only I could remember that God cares for us. He thinks of each of us individually - He's not just watching us from somewhere high in the sky. We can give him our burdens, our anxieties, our fears and our worries. Sometimes when I am overwhelmed with all of the problems in the world, I think I have to carry the whole world on my shoulders, and that I need to do something about all the natural disasters that are happening, all the sickness, the poverty, the wars, etc. But I am not in control of this world, God still is. It's His world, not mine. Of course, I am a part of the solution - my prayers are very important - but, in the end, it is only God who can change things. Jesus knew we would worry so He told us over and over not to worry. What is worry? It is the opposite of trust. Faith cancels worry. How much God wants us to trust him. Often, He reminded His fearful, doubting disciples, "O, you of little faith." He also said, "When the Son of man comes, will he find anyone with faith?" How do we get faith? It's by hearing and reading God's word in the Bible. Memorize the quotes that are meaningful to you -it helps me to make a copy of them and tape them on my mirror. These are some quotes that help me in times of worry: "Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid." (John 14:27) "Cast all your care on Him, because He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7) "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer with thanksgiving let your needs be made known to God." (Phil 4:6-7) Did Jesus worry? Yes, He did. In the garden, He worried about His death, but He showed us what to do with worry, when He said, "Not my will, but thine be done." He gave it over to His Father. Does worrying do any good? Jesus says, " No". He says, "Who of you can add a single hour to his life by worrying?" (Matt 6:27) All worry is useless! Not only does Jesus tell us not to worry, but he also tells us to do something positive, replace the negative thoughts with faith. Only believers can do this. How am I going to pay the rent? Will there be a recession? Will I still have a job? What about the mortgage? All of these questions are valid, but Jesus told us we don't have to worry, because our Heavenly Father knows our needs and wants to provide for us. Children don't worry about the rent - that's the parents' job. So it is the job of our Father in heaven to look after us, His children. He told us again and again, "Unless you become as little children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven." I think when I meet God at the end of my life, He is going to say, "If only you had trusted Me, I could have helped you so much more." God wants us to become very little and completely surrender with trust in His loving care. What if I lose my job? Fix your eyes on Jesus. If we do this, God guarantees that goodness and mercy will follow us all the days of our lives. "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matt 6) Most people worry about tomorrow, but their worries are based on imagination. Prayer: Father, please forgive me for worrying about my life. Even though I am a Christian, I need to grow in faith because then I can cast my cares on You, for You are the only one who is able to remove them. And may the peace of God that passes all human understanding fill each of us. Amen.
In God's love and peace,
Sister Francelle
Friday, May 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment