Thursday, November 13, 2008

St. Bakhita - from slavery to sainthood!‏

Dearest Ones,

"If I was to meet those who abducted me and tortured me, I'd kneel down to them to kiss their hands, because if it had not been for them, I would not have become a Christian." These are the words of St. Bakhita, newly canonized saint in the year 2000. She is the first African saint since the third century. Bakhita was born in the Sudan in the year 1869 and lived happily with her family until the age of nine, when one day she and her sister went to the forest to look for food. Suddenly, they saw two strangers appear. One of them told Bakhita to pick some fruit for them. She did so, not suspecting anything, as her mother had trained her to obey. When she was alone, two men grabbed her. One pulled a knife and held it to her side, saying, "If you cry, you'll die! Follow us!" She and nine other girls walked over 200 miles fastened together with large chains around their necks. She had scars from these chains all her life. The slave traders held her for several years and sold her five times. She was tortured and tattooed at the age of 13. Her fifth and last buyer treated her well, did not beat her and she was able to enjoy peace and tranquility. Her master was forced by the government to go back to his homeland in Italy, where she met his wife and daughter, Minnina. She became a nanny to her and the two became great friends. Bakhita became acquainted with the Daughters of Charity, who educated poor girls, served in hospitals and taught religion. She lived with them while receiving instructions and first learned to know the God of the Christians. She had always experienced Him in her heart but didn't know who He was. Often, she kissed the font, where she was baptized because it was here she became God's child. She became acquainted with Jesus for the first time and it was such a joy, she didn't even mind calling Him, "Master," although she had had other cruel "masters" in her life. Her owner had to go back to Sudan and wanted to take her back to Africa with him. However, she refused and actually was freed from slavery because at that time slavery was illegal in Italy. At the age of 38, she entered the convent of the Sisters of Charity and became the first black Sister in all of Italy. Soon, she got a reputation for being a holy person, although she was not known for miracles or supernatural experiences. She worked in the convent as a seamstress, cook and one who answered the door to the poor. Everyone in Italy seemed to love her. During WW 11, when the Nazis invaded Italy, it was she who was able to calm the fears of the people and reassure them that God was taking care of them. Although Bakhita was troubled with pain for three years at the end of her life, she was always cheerful, patient and kind. As she prepared to meet Our Lord, she said she had two suitcases packed for the journey. The small one was for her sins, and the large one contained the merits of Jesus Christ, earned on the cross. That's why she did not fear death, in fact, she said when she meets Jesus, she will say, "I'm here to stay. I'm not going anywhere." She knew He wouldn't send her away. What can this African saint teach us today? I think it shows God's power in using someone uneducated, unattractive and considered nothing in the eyes of the world, to teach us how to love. She was able to forgive her masters for their cruelty, saying, "If I was to meet those slave traders that tortured me, I'd kneel down to them to kiss their hands, because if it had not been for them, I would not have become a Christian." Her fame has spread to all the continents. The favors she gets from the Lord are remarkable. Many miracles were reported after her death in 1943. God can use the most unfortunate circumstances in our lives and make something beautiful out of them. I do not know how long I have on this earth or how many obstacles to overcome, but with my eyes on my Heavenly Father, and a saint like Bakhita as my inspiration, I will go the distance God has planned for me.

All my love and prayers,
Sister Francelle

No comments: