Dearest Ones,
"Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4:9 My mother could have said these words written by St. Paul. I've never forgotten how she taught us to observe Advent by giving up something we liked, so we gave up candy. It made sense to us to give up something when getting ready for such a big feast as Christmas, especially when Jesus gave up so much to come to be with us. He loved us enough to become one like us. As children, we liked the excitement of waiting and doing something extra for Baby Jesus. How we loved the wonder of the manger scene that Mother let us help her put up on Christmas Eve! Advent begins on Sunday, November 30 this year. The people waited 4000 years for the Savior to be born, that is why Advent is four weeks in length - one week for every thousand years. I love this season of anticipation. A small group of Sisters I live with decided to have an Advent party, instead of a Christmas Party this year. No presents. Since Advent is a time for preparing, we thought we would help each other by sharing our preparation. We each shared answers to the following questions - I'll share my answers with you ....
l. What is your favorite Christmas song and why? (We began the party by everyone singing the first verse of their favorite song at the SAME time! Six of us!!) I chose "Drummer Boy" because the little boy thought he had so little to give, and yet, he gave all he had. That is all Jesus wants of us - to give everything.
2. What character (Mary, Joseph, Wise men, shepherds, angels) do you appreciate most in the Nativity scene, besides the Baby Jesus, and why? I've always admired the Wise Men because it took so much faith to follow a star for so many days, not knowing for sure where it was leading them and they must have been so hot and tired crossing the desert. I love the way they tricked Herod into thinking they would come back the same way they had come - but they didn't! And that made all the difference - because this saved the life of Baby Jesus!
3. Is there anything special you do to prepare for Christmas? I want to look for something positive in every situation - to enjoy life, every minute, for I know not the day nor the hour. Each day, I will try to do something positive, something that will bring joy to someone, for joy has a way of giving the person who gives it more joy than the one who receives it. I'll try to be kind and loving to those around me, either by listening, offering to help them, praying for them, writing letters, etc. This is the best way for me to be aware of Jesus coming. Each Christmas, I try to send something special to each of my fourteen nieces and nephews & their families. This year, however, I turned it around and asked each member of their family to send me something. I asked them to tell me what Christmas means to them. They can write a letter, a poem, a story, or draw a picture. I will put all the replies into a scrapbook and then pass it around to the different families. I will call it, "Keeping the Clarke Faith Alive." I've already received some great replies - I'm hoping to get a 100% response.
4. What do you do with Christmas cards you receive? The spiritual message on many cards is beautiful. I plan to keep my cards handy in a basket, where each day I can choose one and pray for the person who sent it.
5. How can you keep Christ in Christmas? I think the best way to keep Christ in Christmas is by looking for ways to serve Him in my neighbor all year round, not just at Christmas.
6. What do you enjoy most about Christmas? So many things: the spiritual preparation, the special friendly spirit all around, the Christmas songs playing in the stores, the smell of pine needles and apple cider, but most of all, Midnight Mass!
7. What do you want for Christmas this year? I'm praying that I will learn to put myself in another person's shoes and walk in them.
8. What is most annoying this time of year? It's the way some try their best to keep Christ out of Christmas. For example, avoiding anything spiritual, like not saying "Merry Christmas," sending cards with nothing spiritual in them, no "holy" stamps, and keeping Santa, instead of Jesus, as the major focus of attention.
I've invited Christ back into Christmas. Won't you join me?
Have a Blessed Advent,
Sister Francelle
Friday, November 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment