Dearest Ones,
So many parents are grieving over their children who stop going to Church when they are adults. How much this hurts, especially when the parents have been so faithful. My advice is, instead of blaming themselves, to pray to the Holy Spirit instead. Sometimes, when we are broken-hearted and can't find words to pray, it is then that the Holy Spirit prays through us. We just have to let him. These words of St. Paul help: "When we cannot choose words in order to pray, the Spirit expresses our plea in a way that we could never put into words, and God, who knows everything in our heart, prays for us." (Eph. 8-20.) Isn't that wonderful? I find it consoling that the Spirit tell us how to pray. Of course, there are times when I forget about the powerful help of the Spirit, but I try to remember to call on the Holy Spirit before writing a letter or before making a phone call. Always, I call on the Spirit before writing this weekly email because I don't want to interfere with what the Spirit wants to say to you. Just who is the Holy Spirit? No one has ever seen him, but we can tell when He's around - if there is peace and harmony, we know the Spirit is there; but if there is fighting and jealousy, it is a sign the Spirit is not present. When I was baptized, I received the Spirit as my guide, but as I grew older, I had to learn to call upon the Holy Spirit so I would not forget about Him and be more aware of His presence. Even though people may make fun of our religious beliefs, the Spirit gives us the patience to endure and the grace to forgive. Jesus promised the Holy Spirit at the Last Supper. The Spirit was to be His farewell gift, as he said: "It is for your own good that I am going because unless I go, the Holy Spirit will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, you can ask for anything in my name and he will give it to you!" (John: 16-17) The Spirit guides us in every aspect of life. He will tell us about God's plans for our life. We must have the Spirit if we are to face the trials and temptations which come our way. It helps to maintain a prayerful attitude throughout the day. Paul said, "Pray all the time, asking for what you need, praying in the Spirit on every possible occasion. Never get tired of staying awake to pray." (Eph. 6-18) The more we practice the better we will become with prayer. Parents need the gentleness of the Spirit in guiding their children. If all your children ever hear from you gentleness - then after a period of time they will start to pull away from you and they will have no more interest in wanting to have a good, solid, loving relationship with you. The more parents walk in gentleness, the more will the children be drawn to them. I have a loving Christian friend, the parent of an 18 year old, who told me her son so wished he had a relationship with Jesus, but he just can't believe. So, she told me every night after he was asleep, she went to his room, extended her hands and prayed to the Holy Spirit over her sleeping child. After several months, her son became a believer, too. She could only thank the Holy Spirit for this miracle! Why waste the precious help the Spirit has to give us? Just as the Apostles lost their fears when the Holy Spirit came, we too, need not be afraid because we have the very same Spirit within us as they had!
May the Father, Son and Holy Spirit bless all of us today and always!
Sister Francelle
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment