Dearest Ones,
A most Blessed Christmas to all of you! I still keep busy volunteering at the local hospital and helping with Meals on Wheels each week. I did not expect to spend time with my family this Christmas, but my niece, Kathy Jo, along with her friend, Brigitte, pleasantly surprised me by coming from Minneapolis to visit me in early December. What a great time we had!
I received this touching Christmas memory from my little sister, Rose Anne (1 and 1/2 yrs younger), which she wrote for a contest. As I read it, my mind was flooded with precious Christmas memories. I'd like to share:
"This true tale happened to me 75 years ago, but I remember that Christmas Eve of 1934. I grew up on a farm in South Dakota, one of six children. Our family always attended Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and how I loved it. My weary Mother was not feeling well and realized she would need to stay home with me as her errand girl.
Mother asked me to hop on the bed with her and she would share a secret. 'You will be Santa and distribute the gifts. Crawl under my bed and bring out all the packages you can find.'
I had no idea the Santa mystery was unfolding but quickly did as Mother requested. I was a firm believer that Santa brought the gifts but soon figured out I was Santa's helper. I can still feel the thrill of being trusted. So, I learned the truth about Santa's visit and that my parents trusted me, a little girl of five, to handle this part of Christmas. I still hold back tears when I think of that great night!" -Rose Anne Sachse
As I think of those presents hidden under the bed, which my parents could not afford, bundling up before going to Church in the middle of a bitter cold night, so we could welcome Baby Jesus, and then home to the filled stockings and presents - all these are permanent memories in my heart and remind me just how much my parents loved me.
How much it must have cost Our Lord Jesus to part from His heavenly home, in order to become one of us. Before Jesus came, it was hard to know just who God was and what He was like, so God the Father sent His Son to be just like us. He knew how lonely people were, so God said:
"I'll send My Son to walk among them, so they can hear Him speak and feel His nearness, and see the many miracles that faith alone can do...for if men can really see Him and feel His healing hand, it will be easier for them to believe."
With Jesus, we will never be lonely. This Christmas, reach out to someone who is lonely - be Jesus to them, it will change your life forever!
We really miss the reason for the season if we don't ask God for forgiveness in the sacrament of confession. Hopefully, you will lead your family to the sacrament of forgiveness, then you will truly have made the season of Advent a time of preparing for the Lord Jesus.
May the Christmas Season find your hearts filled with love, happiness and compassion!
I love you!
Sister Francelle
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment