Thursday, March 25, 2010

Peace of Heart

Dearest Ones,

Throughout the world, people are searching for peace of heart. We all like to be around a peaceful person. For me, the most important gift God gave us is peace. Consider the parting words of Jesus: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." If you choose to accept God's spirit of peace, then you will think peaceful thoughts, speak in peace and create serenity all around you.

Does peace of heart mean no more problems? Certainly not. Someone reading this may think, How can I have peace of heart if I may lose my job? If I can't make the payments on my house? If my family is falling apart? If the person I live with criticizes everything I do? It's hard to trust in times like this and I don't have all the answers, but the hard times give us a chance to trust like we never have before. They can lead us to perfect surrender.

"God will keep in perfect peace, those who trust in the Lord." (Isaiah 26:3)

Jesus promised, "In this life you will have tribulations and troubles, but I have overcome the world." We must not let the hard times rob us of our peace.

When we ask for God's peace in our hearts, we need to make sure we're walking in love. If we cling to unforgiveness or hatred toward anyone, God's peace cannot enter our hearts. Just because you forgive somebody doesn't mean you always feel differently about them. There are some things you can do to help in the process of forgiving: pray for the people who have hurt you. Jesus says, "Pray for your enemies, even those who abuse you. Bless and do not curse them."

Pray that God will bless them. Bless means to speak well of them - curse means to speak evil of them. So it means you do not talk about what someone did to you. It's not about what you feel, it's about what you do because you love God. If anyone had reason to speak evil about someone, it was Jesus. But He did not - instead, He prayed for his enemies.

Recently, I heard an inspiring interview with a former Muslim, who became a Christian. He told how hard it was because it meant breaking off relationship with all of his brothers, sisters, parents and friends. Right now, he has to go under an assumed name, because his life is in danger. He became a Christian because someone gave him a Bible. After reading it for several years, there were three words of Jesus that struck him and finally convinced him to turn his heart to Christ. It was these words, "Love your enemies." This completely shocked him, as it is so different from what Muslims believe. The Muslim faith teaches that families love each other and friends, but never have love for enemies. It turned his belief system upside down, but gave him peace of heart. Instead of feeling anger, he now feels pity for those who are blinded by hatred. He said it takes the average Muslim seven years to convert to Christianity because it is so dangerous. Although his life is in danger, his heart is at peace. He now lives in the US, working for the government, praying for those who wish to kill him. Knowing this makes me realize how easy it is to be a Christian in the US.

Ask yourself: Is there someone I need to forgive? Do I have love for everyone? Give your heart a break - clean out all the corners and see if there is anyone you have forgotten about who has not been forgiven - even those who don't deserve it, put them in the heart of Christ. You can't do it by yourself - ask Jesus to help you. It's like taking a bath or cleaning the cobwebs out of hidden corners of your house. Give your heart a good house cleaning before Easter. It will make you ever so happy and peaceful.

Even young children can be taught the importance of forgiveness. If a playmate has been unkind, teach them to say a little prayer for the one who hurt them...it gives them a chance to be like Jesus. You'll be amazed at their faith.

St. Paul beautifully summarizes this subject: "Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4: 6-7) Don't let anyone or anything steal your peace.

In God's peace,
Sister Francelle

No comments: