Thursday, March 4, 2010

From Suffering to Surrender

Dearest Ones,

Lent is a time of many graces. I try to see it as a time to look at the crosses in my life as blessings. I know that sounds hard, but if we truly are following Jesus, then we must surrender, as He did when He was asked to suffer. As He lay agonizing in the garden, seeing ahead to all the sins of mankind and also, looking ahead to the cross and all the suffering, He begged, "Father, if it is possible, take this chalice from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but thine be done." He didn't run away from suffering, just as we are not to run away from our struggles and hardships. When He asked His Father to take away the suffering, He wanted to show us that suffering is hard, and as humans, we prefer not to suffer.

Today, I took Meals on Wheels to the homebound, which I have been doing for over a year now. What a joy to meet such dear old people, who hunger for a human voice and a human touch more than for the food! I greet them with a hug and say, "God loves you!" Patricia, a sweet little old lady, wheelchair-bound, who, instead of feeling sorry for herself, welcomes me with a big smile and a cheery greeting. When I first met Patricia, I remarked about the beautiful gold cross around her neck and she said she never takes it off - even when she had an x-ray, she said she put it in her mouth! It is her reminder that she is never alone.

A couple of the people I take meals to are almost blind. I don't see how they are able to live alone. This morning a wheelchair bound lady said she wondered why the Lord had given her another day to live - and then went on to say she thinks it's because she's a "prayer warrior." She prays all day long and believes that her suffering is a prayer helping others. Piles and piles of "stuff" are on her tables and counter-tops, but that is probably because she is afraid to put anything away, as she may be unable to find it.

One woman was found dead (not by me), so the driver called 911. Another woman was on the floor, not dead, but she had fallen, couldn't get back into her wheel chair and could not reach the phone. Again, 911 had to be called. I gave each of them a homemade Valentine and they were so delighted - you would think I gave them $100!

I am very blessed to work with the volunteers, as there is no complaining or grumbling, for each one is there because they wish to help others. No one gets paid, so there is no worry about getting fired or who gets the biggest paycheck. This work helps me to see the worth of each human being and the value of suffering. These precious people are learning to accept their situation for what it is, rather than attempting to control and manipulate it.

Jesus is our example of suffering. His power was found in surrendering. It was His surrendered life that led to saving the entire world. He is our model and imitating Him is what it means to be a Christian. In times of suffering, it helps to think of all the good we can do by offering the little crosses with Christ for others. What a great thought! Our pains (daily crosses) can be a channel of grace for each other. The pain doesn't go away, it didn't for Christ...but it can make it more joyful, knowing that God is using it for friends and family. We become like Christ in doing this. Children are not too young to be taught to offer to Jesus their disappointments, their illness or any other sufferings. If something doesn't go their way, they can say, "Good, I have something to offer to Jesus." Why wait until they are grown to learn how to deal with their suffering and make an offering of it to Jesus? Some day we'll understand how our suffering can help others, but not in this life.

We can't do this without the help of the Holy Spirit. But we have to ask Him for the help...He will help...to lead our family and friends to heaven and the road is through suffering...and suffering for others is an act of love that lasts forever. And if we surrender our suffering, we will taste the joy that comes from doing this. God is never closer than when we surrender our suffering. He waits for us to unite our will with His.

All over the world Christians are celebrating the season of Lent...praising God by doing small acts of charity. We are not alone. What has been a great grace for me is that the little acts of love leading to new habits formed during Lent, I have continued to do after Lent. So ask the Holy Spirit to help you form lasting habits in you and your children. May these habits help you to keep your focus on Jesus and turn your hearts to heaven - our real home.

Joyfully in Christ,
Sister Francelle

No comments: