Dearest Ones,
St. James 1:2-3 tells us in his letter: "Consider it pure joy, whenever you face trials." What did James really mean? Does anybody really consider it pure joy when they are faced with trials? I don't know of anyone who does. James is teaching us how to deal with things that take away our joy. We have all been hurt, disappointed, challenged and overwhelmed by the many different trials that come our way, but if you're like me, many of these things take away my joy. I'm learning how they can be the opposite - there must be a way for them to become a source of joy.
I want a joy that is real, that can pass all understanding, the kind that comes from God. God must feel that we need trials or He wouldn't permit them and cause us to suffer. It's my job to trust Him and try to find that joy that he promised.
How can God expect us to feel joy when we wake up in the morning and find someone has stolen our car, or we have lost our job, or our son is selling drugs, the doctor's report says you have cancer, etc.? Nothing bad that happens is so bad that God can't bring good out of it. Suffering makes for endurance. Endurance brings patience and patience brings us nearer to God. I haven't got much patience - it's hard for me to wait - but I know I must have patience because without it I'll never have joy.
St. James 1:2-3 tells us in his letter: "Consider it pure joy, whenever you face trials." What did James really mean? Does anybody really consider it pure joy when they are faced with trials? I don't know of anyone who does. James is teaching us how to deal with things that take away our joy. We have all been hurt, disappointed, challenged and overwhelmed by the many different trials that come our way, but if you're like me, many of these things take away my joy. I'm learning how they can be the opposite - there must be a way for them to become a source of joy.
I want a joy that is real, that can pass all understanding, the kind that comes from God. God must feel that we need trials or He wouldn't permit them and cause us to suffer. It's my job to trust Him and try to find that joy that he promised.
How can God expect us to feel joy when we wake up in the morning and find someone has stolen our car, or we have lost our job, or our son is selling drugs, the doctor's report says you have cancer, etc.? Nothing bad that happens is so bad that God can't bring good out of it. Suffering makes for endurance. Endurance brings patience and patience brings us nearer to God. I haven't got much patience - it's hard for me to wait - but I know I must have patience because without it I'll never have joy.
St. Paul tells us to "thank God in all things."I believe God is telling me to thank Him in all circumstances, instead of grumbling and complaining. How many opportunities I pass up to let God teach me how much he loves me. Most of us go around carrying these opportunities as heavy burdens, but God has said that all these burdens can pass through us as joy!
How glorious to know that at this very minute God wants to fill our hearts with overflowing joy. It depends only on one thing - believing in the Lord Jesus. When we really believe, the power of God begins to break loose in our life. That's what Jesus tried to explain to us when He said,"Leap for joy when they persecute you. When you have sorrow." There is great power in giving thanks. Give thanks for all things!
No matter how difficult it may seem to trust God when things go wrong and with every detail in life, I must cling to thanking God, no matter what. Paul says to not worry about anything, but "In everything by prayer with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
I'm still working on this, believe me, it may take a lifetime.
Prayer: "Lord, I want to know you more this Lent. Show me how to purify myself and draw closer to you this season."
Ash Wednesday and Good Friday we are to fast. No meat and one full meal. Also no meat on Fridays during Lent.
In God's love and mine,
Sister Francelle sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment