Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lent - a Time to Change


Dearest Ones,

Wednesday, February 22 is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  Instead of saying, "Here it is Lent again - I wonder what I have to do now?"  Why not change that to say, "I want to do something for you this Lent, Lord.  I get to change something - what will it be?"   We don't have to do anything, rather, Lent is an opportunity to get closer to God in our daily walk. 
 
We can all fall into a rut.  We can get up in the morning and either be glad to have another day to serve God, be happy we have a job, enough to eat and say, "What can I do to make life happier for others?"  Or we can look forward to the day with boredom and dreariness, saying, "Poor me, I am so miserable with my life."  It's easy to drag others down with a bad attitude.

For me, Lent is the time to take seriously what Jesus meant when He said, "Follow me."  These two words have changed everything for me.  Jesus promised enormous blessings if we will only take the chance and believe He is leading us along the right path.  Jesus is not pleading or begging.  He is lovingly inviting us.  It's not because we're perfect or good or holy.  It's what we can become.  We are following someone who is good and holy.  We can't go wrong.  What you are now isn't an obstacle to what you can become.  God has a vision for each of us from the moment we were conceived.  It is a blessing.  Jesus asks us to surrender and give Him a chance to lTRUST Him!
 
When we were growing up, my parents taught us to give up something for Lent because it reminds us of what Jesus gave up for us.   Often, we gave up sweets.  Ask the Lord what he wants you to give up.  Maybe some family member needs us to give up bullyingBullying doesn't just happen on the playground - grownups are guilty of bullying in subtle ways, such as taking advantage of a younger sibling, too much bossing or refusing to speak to a hurting family member.  Maybe the Lord is asking you to stop talking so much, and instead do more listening.   People need words of encouragement, ridicule.  Ask the Lord how you can make a difference to someone who is struggling.   Encourage others to share their pains, admit their fears, and how to draw strength from their tragedy.

We all know that following Jesus has its ups and downs.  But no matter what challenges we may face, we can always face them knowing that we belong to Jesus, and that He will never abandon us.  He is leading us always with words of love and peace.   

Prayer:  "Yes, Jesus, I will follow you.  I want to walk with you every day of my life.  Please let me know what you want me to do for Lent that will bring me closer to You.  May I bring your compassion and love to someone who is hurting."

My love and prayers,
Sister Francelle  sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com

No comments: