Dearest ones,
Jesus says regarding judging - DON'T! Why did Our Lord speak so strongly against judging others? I think the reason is because we cannot see what is in the heart. We do not know the motives, although we make up motives for every action we see. It is not possible to judge another fairly unless you know what is on his mind - maybe he just got bad news; perhaps he isn't feeling well or maybe he just hit rock bottom and has lost his faith. If we see a wrong thing in others, this means we have the very same fault in ourselves. So when we judge, we condemn ourselves. We will be judged by God exactly as we have judged others. I wonder which one of us would dare to stand before God on judgment day and say, "My God, judge me as I have judged others?"How can we, with all our weaknesses and failures, dare to set ourselves up as a judge? When we try to judge people, which we should not do, we have a great tendency to look for and take pride in finding another's weaknesses and faults. We may overlook the 99 good things about a person and attack their one weakness and we want the whole world to know about it. We excuse ourselves by saying, "Well, it's true!" Maybe the evil rumor was started by a mean or envious person. I have a friend, who, when she hears a negative statement about another, instead of repeating it, she says a prayer for that person - how much better to bless than to repeat! Our Lord said, "Judge not, and you will not be judged." What a deal that is! Wouldn't it be great to just go right straight into heaven without judgment! Sometimes, even when our friends are accused or gossip is started about them, we accept and repeat what we hear without knowing all the facts. It is sad indeed when friendships are destroyed by misinformation. We can easily find fault in others, if that is what we are looking for. Why not look for the good rather than try to discover any hidden evil? Gossip is the worst form of judging. The tongue is the most dangerous and deadly weapon available to man. A vicious tongue can ruin the reputation of the one attacked. What a different world it would be if we put into practice what we have heard so many times: "What you would like men to do to you, do you also to them." (Matt 7-12) We expect others to excuse our faults, but do we do the same for them? Jesus is the greatest example of forgiveness. To the woman brought before Him accused of adultery, He said, "Neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more." (John 8:11) One the cross He prayed: "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34) Usually, insecure people tend to judge others. Certainly, parents must be judges of their children's actions, just as judges have to deal with the laws of the land. This being election year, we will hear and argue the traits of those running for office. Regardless of how strong my opposing views may be toward a candidate, I must watch myself, so that I don't stoop so low as to indulge in damaging talk of personalities - I have no right to accuse another of lying and cheating or being dishonest or immoral. We never gain anything or improve our own character by trying to tear down another. Parents have the responsibility to guard against these things. Every word influences the attitude of the child. It is in the family that the child picks up lessons in getting along with people, love, compassion and concern. The world would be a better place, if children were taught at an early age, "Whatever you do to others, you do to Me." (Matt 25-40) Regardless of what I see them do, I think everybody is trying to do their best. I don't know how they grew up, what they had to put up with - were they put down and made to believe they were inferior, dumb or less than a person? We can't be too careful of a person's good name - just one word, sometimes, is enough to turn others against them. It is always better to be too kind, than too judgmental. It is so much better to look for the good in others, than the bad. I do not remember my mother ever tearing down another's reputation - I am thankful that I had that good influence. She used to say, "If you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything." My father was a good man, too, - his love for his fellowman was shown in numerous generous actions. I can never thank God enough for their charity and good example.
My love and prayers,
Sister Francelle
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment