Friday, December 5, 2008

The Sheep and the Goats‏

Dearest Ones,

Of all the parables, that of the "sheep and the goats" is probably the most startling. At the end of the world, Jesus says people will be either like sheep or goats, those who took care of their neighbor and those who did not. What is most shocking is that both the good and the bad were surprised when Jesus said, "What you did to the least of these, you did to me." Both had no idea that what they did or did or did not do for those in need, was the same as if they had done it for Jesus. Here is the parable: "When the Son of man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of His glory: and before Him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats: and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the king shall say to those on his right hand, "Come you blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger, and you too ke in: naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison and you came to me. Then shall the good sheep answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry and fed you, or thirsty and gave you a drink? When did we see you a stranger, and took you in? Or naked and gave you clothes? Or when did we visit you when you were sick or in prison, and visited you? And the King shall answer, "As you have done unto one of the least of my brothers, you have done it to me." Then he shall say to those on the left hand. Depart from me, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave me nothing; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink; I was a stranger, and you refused to take me in. Then they shall answer: "When did we see you hungry, naked, thirsty, sick or in prison? Then he shall answer: "Because you did it not to one of the least of mine, you did it not to me. These shall go into everlasting punishment but the good into eternal life in heaven." (Matthew 25:31-46) Every time I read these words, I get chills down my spine. I realize how serious are the little ordinary things I do or neglect to do in my daily life. The good people (the sheep) did not realize they were serving Jesus when they ministered to the unfortunate, saying, "When did we see you hungry, etc.?" Likewise, the bad ones (the goats) did not realize they were neglecting Jesus in ignoring their suffering brothers and sisters. It's the same with me and maybe with you, too. I so often do not remember I am serving Jesus when I do something for others. But it is good to know that is not the important thing - God is not going to judge us as to how aware we are that we are serving Him in others - He just wants us to help those in need. Do you find yourself like me, not thinking about what you do for others? The countless times you prepare meals, make coffee, give someone a drink, visit the sick, smile and greet someone, you may be unaware that you are serving Jesus. Perhaps most of the things we do, things we consider insignificant, are not small in God's eyes. He sees an entirely different picture from the other side. Some day we'll be surprised that we were serving Our Lord, although unaware of it. At times, it's like being on auto-pilot throughout the day. But Jesus will reward us, whether we realize we are serving him or not. The important thing is to keep on serving. Why did Jesus pick on the goats and give preference to the sheep? What is the difference? As far as I know, sheep are more docile, more easily led, while goats are head-strong and more rebellious, and because of this, they will be thrown into the lake of fire. Our Lord compares the sheep to loving and giving people, who follow Jesus and do whatever He tells them to do. What is most significant about the behavior of the sheep and goats? Love is the answer. It is as simple as that. No love for others, no reward in heaven. May you find joy in reaching out to others.

My love and prayers,
Sister Francelle

No comments: