Dearest Ones,
For me, the Christmas Season is summed up in one word, LOVE! But what does that really mean? Love is self-sacrificing, which means it always costs something. It hurts to put others first. Love requires us to believe in people even though they may fail us many times. This is also very hard to do. Because we love people, we don't say some of the things we want to say - we refrain from pointing out their faults. Love covers another's sin. We can't do this alone for love comes from God. But God gives us the strength and the courage to love the unloveable. "Without me you can do nothing." Listening to people is a way of showing love. People feel loved when someone listens to them. They tell you what they want, need and like, if someone is listening. To live a life of love, means not to lose our peace, even,
- when blamed unjustly
- when we feel unloved
- when we don't succeed
- when people hurt us
- when we feel neglected
Jesus experienced all these things while in this world, yet He never lost His peace. We know it's possible to live a life of love, regardless of how we are treated or Jesus wouldn't ask us to do it. Do I treat people the way I want to be treated, or do I treat them the way they treat me? Lots of company on the wide road of getting even, but Jesus is not on that road. We have to be quick to forgive one another because we all need a lot of forgiveness in life. Don't be hard-hearted and hold grudges. Love means I have to give others a chance to make mistakes and make allowances for what they do. In fact, I ought to be surprised if people do something good. "Above all, have an intense love for one another. Love covers a multitude of sins. A new commandment I give to you that you love one another just as I have loved you." These are the farewell words of Jesus to his best friends. I asked myself, how did Jesus love his friends? He did not love them for their natural qualities because they were ignorant and jealous, yet He called them His friends and wanted to have them with him for all eternity in heaven; He was ready to die on the cross to make this possible. Thinking about this, I can see how very imperfect is my love for others, because I don't really love as Jesus loves. I see now that true charity consists in bearing with the faults of the Sisters around me, never being surprised at their weaknesses, but surprised at the least sign of goodness. Above all love must not remain hidden. It's like a candle, it must shine, or it is of no use. We need not only love those who love us, but we must radiate love toward everyone, especially the unloveable. Why did Jesus talk so much about love? I think it's because He knows that without it, we are miserable. God made us out of love. A tiny baby loves everybody - it comes naturally, they don't have to be taught. Even cats amaze me - they demand - and get - love when they need it. They will cry and rub up against somebody's leg, asking to be picked up and loved. God knows I can never love my Sisters as He loves them by myself. I need His love in me. I ask Him every day to put His love in me. The more closely I unite myself to Him, the more I will be able to love everyone. This Christmas, may your love and mine reach out to all the world - our loving thoughts can bring peace to someone far across the ocean. Our souls long for love just as our bodies long for food. Jesus also longs for our love. He asks only that we believe He loves us, even when we feel unworthy. That is what Christmas means to me.
Wrap yourself around somebody this Christmas, someone needs your Love!
Sister Francelle
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment