Dearest Ones,
How is your Lent going? Lent is a time to grow closer to God - a time to be more conscious that God is present with us always. He's not just watching to see what we will do; rather, He is actively involved because He knows we can't do anything by ourselves. "Without Me you can do nothing."
Each Lent it is good to give up something - it helps unite us with the suffering of Jesus. He did it all for us, so we could enjoy heaven forever with Him. Giving up something as children strengthens our will power for future temptations. When children become teenagers, they will be bombarded with temptations from their friends to smoke, drink and take drugs. If they have learned to say "no" to a candy bar, maybe they will be able to say "no" to bad things later on.
Our lives are mostly made up of habits. A habit is something one does so often that they do it without thinking. However, forming a habit takes a whole lot of thinking - it may cause a great deal of suffering and discomfort. Many times it is a real battle to acquire a habit, you just have to make yourself do it. For example, getting up at 4:30 am in the morning, going out into the cold and running for 45 minutes is not easy the first time. But you want to do it to stay in shape. It may be total agony - but each time it gets a little easier, until finally, it is a sheer delight and one can't wait to do it. On the average, it takes 30 days to acquire a new habit.
It's as hard to break a habit, as it is to make one. I have friends who are finding it extremely hard to break the habit of smoking. I never smoked so I can't relate..(I remember, when I was a teen-ager, I got hold of a cigarette and while living at home, I thought it would be cool to put it in my mouth, pretending I was smoking. An older brother grabbed it from me and said, "Don't ever do that!" I didn't.)
You may be in the habit of putting yourself down by saying things like, "I'm stupid" or "I'm no good." In getting rid of a bad habit, it is best to replace it with a good one. For example, you may decide to say instead, "I am a beloved child of God. I'm a good person." Say it many times a day.
You may have the habit of doing things your own way, without consulting God or others for wisdom and guidance. One has to decide first and then be firm in trying to change. It is a good thing to consult God about everything - take Him shopping with you, so you won't buy everything you see, what to have for supper, let Him guide your reading, your use of the computer, your spending, etc. It's never wrong to pray about anything. Nothing is too small for Him to care about: finding a parking place, losing keys, writing a letter, to-do lists. In other words, pray about everything. Once you have the habit, you will wonder how you ever did things all by yourself.
Lent is a good time to change habits. Ask God which ones He wants you to change. Some people are in the habit of being critical of everything and everybody. This habit can be replaced by finding something good to say about others instead of looking for the bad. If self-pity is a problem for you, get involved with others. Jesus said at the end of the world, when everyone is there in front of Him, they will be divided into two groups: those who showed Him hospitality when he was hungry, thirsty, naked, sick and alone, and those who did not. Neither group remembers meeting Jesus in such circumstances, and He explains, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." We don't have to go far to find God in the needy - He may be right in our own family.
Worrying is a habit I need to give up this Lent. I'm forever worrying about our country, which is falling into immorality. Will there be enough jobs for everyone? What will we do if there is flooding this spring? What will I do when I can't take care of myself anymore? Will people have enough money? What will we do when the terrorists come? I decided that every time I think of something to worry about, I will say, "Jesus, I trust in you." This way, I turn my worries into a prayer. All is in His hands, anyway. I can't change these things. If only I can remember that.
Some have these bad habits and may even be unaware of them:
- constant lying and need to change to telling the truth
- others may gossip and need to find something good to say about others
- still others are always trying to change others, instead of accepting them as they are.
Please don't be too hard on yourself or beat yourself down, in finding your bad habits. Jesus understands. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need Him. Ask Him to help you discover which ones to change. You will be so blessed and happy if you change only one.
Love always,
Sister Francelle
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment