Dearest Ones,
Two of the sweetest words in the English language are: "Thank You." They cost nothing but mean so much. One of the pleasures of growing older is the realization it brings to mind all the things for which to be grateful. It may be because the longer we live, the more blessings we have experienced; growing older means growing more grateful. I hope that's true for me. With time, there are more losses, disappointments and heartaches, too. As I grow older, the more grateful I am for my blessed family - even though, when I was with them, I didn't appreciate them as much as I should. Most of all, I am grateful for the faith my parents passed on to me.
I thank the Lord for the gifts that each new day holds. Even in the dark and troubled times I find more to be thankful for than not, much, much more. I bet you do, too. I'm so thankful to God I can read, I can hear, I can laugh, I can walk, I can talk, I can enjoy beauty and so much more. At times, during my quiet time in the morning with God when my mind is a blank, I try to remember just to thank God for the many blessings He constantly gives me - it helps me stay in touch with my loving Savior.
When we praise God in the middle of a difficulty, He raises us out of it. There's always something good in every situation. The best way to start every day is with gratitude and thanksgiving. Get a jump on the devil. If you don't fill your thoughts and conversation with good things, he will definitely fill them with evil things. Truly thankful people do not complain. They are so busy being grateful for the good things they have that they have no time to notice the things they could complain about. Praise and thanksgiving are good; complaining and grumbling are evil.
I was reading in the life of Catherine Marshall, when at the age of 35, she was diagnosed with TB and left bed-ridden for many months. At first, she fretted and felt sorry for herself, but after several weeks, she completely surrendered her life to God, telling Him He could do anything He liked with her. Soon after that she began to get better and was able to live an active life again. It was after she left it all to God that she began to get better.
We should not just thank God when we have a reason. It is easy to give thanks if we have a reason. We should offer thanks at all times. If we make a list of blessings, we would soon begin to see how good we have it. There are many things I take for granted, when people in some countries would think they were wealthy if they had them. For example, fresh water. In some parts of the world, people walk miles just to get a day's supply. We take baths, swim in it, wash the dishes, cook with it, etc. We can have it hot or cold, as often as we like, as much as we desire.
Gratitude is a practice of the soul that helps us live happier lives and grow closer to God. Look around you. You can tell by a person's face if they are a grateful person or an ungrateful one. I imagine you all could fill a page or two with names of people and things to remember this Thanksgiving. This is a good exercise to do with the family and then have fun sharing them.
My heart is full of gratitude for each one of you. Without you, my life would be a lot emptier - thanks for reading these emails. for your love, loyalty, support and prayers. I feel so blessed.
"Let us constantly offer up to God our praise and thanksgiving." -Hebrews 13:15.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Sister Francelle
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment