Dearest Ones,
Summer is past and winter is around the corner. Autumn is dressed in a golden gown of leaves, waiting for a kind of death to take over. As the flowers die and trees are stripped of their beauty, we are reminded of our own death. In the month of November we remember the souls of the faithful departed in prayer. This is also the time when the Church asks us to ponder the four last things: death, judgment, heaven, hell.
Some people don't believe the most widely read book in the world - the Bible, which says that heaven and hell are real. Some say God is too good, He would not condemn anyone to hell. Let's suppose there is a judge here in the US, who excuses a rapist and lets him go free at his trial. Most of us would say, "What an awful judge!" But our God is a completely fair and just judge.
If the following verses from the Bible are true and someone did not believe them, then after death, they would be the big loser. Think about these quotes from the Bible:
"It is appointed unto man once to die and after that, the judgment." (Hebrews 8:27)
"The good will be welcomed into heaven." (Matt 25:46)
"The wicked will be cast into everlasting fire." (Matt 25:41)
Remember, one cannot afford to be wrong. Eternity is forever! One day we will all die! And when we die, we will face the biggest test of all - will we go to heaven? Eternity is a long time to be in the wrong place, a place where one would never again experience love.
It is fitting at this time that we reflect on the passing glory of things and think about heaven where joys never end. I have a question. How do you see death? When was the last time you meditated on it? I have found that almost no one speaks of death or their longing to depart from this life. St. Paul wrote of his longing to leave this world and go to God. He was not suicidal, he just wanted to be with God.
"For me, to live is Christ and death is gain. I do not know which one to choose. I am caught between the two. I long to depart and be with Christ - that is far better. Yet, that I remain in the flesh is more necessary for your benefit." (Phil 1:20-23)
I understand that we all have a fear of dying. For a Christian, there should be a deep thirst for God. St. Francis praised God for his Sister Death, as he called it. He looked forward to death and why not praise God for it? It means going to our true home. As for me, I love what I do here, but I, too, long to leave this world and go home to God. I can't wait to be with God. I don't mind getting older, because it means I'm closer to my true home. It reminds me of a favorite hymn, "Soon and very soon, we are going to meet the king...."
Some people say, "I'll think about dying when I'm old, I haven't got time now." 150,000 people die every day. They die at all ages. Everybody dies. Please take some time now to think about what happens after death. One day it will be too late. A priest, age 60, recently told me that when he was in grade school his teacher told the class to memorize the four last things that will happen: death, judgment, heaven, hell or purgatory (for awhile). He said ever since that time, when he was quite a bit older, in college, those four things kept coming back to his mind - they shaped his life forever! Whether we believe what the Bible says or not, these four things are true.
I don't remind you of these things to scare you - not at all. If you have opened your heart to receive the love of Jesus and you believe He suffered and died for us - you have nothing to fear. You have only to look forward to a marvelous homecoming - filled with Love for all eternity! Right now, Jesus is preparing a place for you, right beside Him. I hope we'll all be there.
Love and prayers,
Sister Francelle
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment