Dearest Ones,
Recently, I attended the funeral of Jeff Beckle, an outstanding man, who died at the age of 55. He was a native of Aberdeen. After serving for several years in the Air Force in Vietnam, at the age of 25 Jeff came back to the US and was driving with a friend in Colorado when he was hit by a drunk driver. He was injured badly and left as a quadriplegic. For the next half of his life he was confined to a bed. Jeff came from a ordinary loving family of six children. I had taught his sister, so I knew this great Catholic family. Jeff was able to move to an apartment in Aberdeen, but required a caretaker around the clock. He advertised and found a man, who gave him tender care, staying with him for 22 years!
The reason I tell you about this remarkable man is that for two hours at the wake, people stood up and one by one told of their inspiring experiences with Jeff and how he blessed them spiritually. When people came to see him, rather than ministering to him, he ended up ministering to them. He became profoundly religious -helping hundreds of people by listening to their problems and then quoting from the Bible with words that seemed just right for them. His twenty-three nieces and nephews loved to visit him because he was always joking and made them laugh. Priests came to him for advice. He seemed to know just the right thing to say. Never did he indulge in self-pity. He patiently carried his heavy cross every day without complaining. Although he was never a parent, he was like a grandfather to so many.
He spent his days reading the Bible, saying the rosary and praying for the world. Now, he is enjoying all the promises given by Our Lord. The last prayer the family prayed together with him was the Divine Mercy Chaplet, which he said every day. I would like to tell you more about the Chaplet.
In 1931, Sr. Faustina, a Polish nun, had several visions of the Lord Jesus, in which He asked her, "Paint an image according to what you see, with the signature: Jesus, I trust in You. I want the first Sunday after Easter to be named Feast of Mercy." In the words of Sr. Faustina: "I saw the Lord Jesus clothed in a white garment. One hand was raised in the gesture of blessing, the other was touching the garment at the breast. From beneath the garment, there were streaming two large rays, one red, the other almost white." She was told by Jesus: "The pale ray stands for the water which washes sin away. The red ray stands for the Blood which was shed for all." (see attachment)
The reason the Feast is so closely connected to Easter is because it was through the death of Jesus that He obtained so many graces for us.
The image is often called the "Image of the Divine Mercy." To all those who honor this image, Our Lord promised heaven in the next world. Jesus said, "To all who honor this image I will grant many graces. I would like to see this painting in every home and in every church." There was another request made by Jesus: "Unless you do good to your neighbor and show active love toward him, none of these graces will be available. Good works are absolutely necessary."
Why did Jesus request this feast of Mercy? In the 1700's, Our Lord appeared to St. Margaret Mary, a French nun, because many hearts had grown cold toward Him. He asked her to spread an image of His Sacred Heart all over the world. As the years went by, people's hearts grew cold again. Just as we all crave love, likewise, Jesus longs for our love. He is begging for it. Two hundred years later, in the 1900's, Jesus appears to Sr. Faustina, again asking that people warm up to Him. (In words used to Sr. Faustina: "He wants us to snuggle up to Him!") He wants to show us His mercy, but so many souls refuse it. Just what is mercy? Mercy is showing forgiveness and love to someone who doesn't deserve it.
Jesus taught Sr. Faustina how to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy on ordinary rosary beads. It's easy to memorize the short prayers. If you would like to know how to pray the Chaplet, google at Chaplet of Divine Mercy. I pray it every day - it only takes 7 minutes. Jesus promised: "By praying the Chaplet you are bringing souls closer to Me. It is especially helpful to the dying. Those who pray the Chaplet will receive many graces during their lifetime and I will be with them at the hour of their death. It pleases Me to grant everything they ask of Me by praying the Chaplet if it is according to My will."
I believe the words of Jesus are true, as Sr. Faustina reported them. I would be foolish if I didn't. Why refuse the mercy Jesus offers to us? It's as if someone has a million dollars in the bank and yet, he is starving to death! These are the words of Jesus: "Souls perish in spite of my bitter Passion. I am giving them the last hope of salvation, that is, my Mercy. If they do not accept my Mercy, they will perish for all eternity." So many souls are lost because no one prays for them. All the words of Jesus, are quoted from Sr. Faustina's DIARY. I have a copy of it and read from it every day.
In the Mercy and Love of Jesus,
Sister Francelle
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment