Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas

Dearest Ones,
 
A very Blessed Christmas to all!!  I love attending Mass on Christmas Eve, singing Christmas carols and thanking God for family and friends, but most of all for the gift of God's Son.  As I look back and think about all the Christmases I've already enjoyed, it makes me wonder how many more I will see.  I am now in my 80's and signs of old age are creeping up.  I've got gray hair to prove it.  But I'm happy to be getting older - it means I'm getting closer to Jesus and heaven.  It is comforting to reflect on the precious words in Isaiah 46:4:  
 
"Even to your old age I am with you - even to your gray hair, I will carry you.  It is I who have done this and I will continue to carry you safely."
 
Even though my body becomes weaker, I must remember, my soul never wears out, because it lasts forever.

I stay busy volunteering at the hospital and run the Gift Shop in the convent.  I also serve meals at the Salvation Army to 60 poor people daily.  I greatly enjoy this - the folks are cheerful and friendly, despite their unfortunate circumstances.  Many are on disability.  This could happen to any one of us.  There was a tiny one-month old infant there today.  The markets in Aberdeen donate the food.

God's hand has been on me up to this very day.  What is there to fear?  He calls me by name and I am His beloved child, just as we all are.  I have experienced God's total care for me in my life.  Sure, things have not always been perfect, but it would be foolish for me to expect them to be.  Every life has it's ups and downs.  I know I have God who loves me and will see me through life's trials.  I take comfort in the words of Jeremiah 29: 11-14:


"I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come pray to ME, and I will bring you back.  You will seek ME and find ME, when you seek ME with all your heart, says the Lord.  In joy and sorrow, I am there in all the memories of your life."

Would you reflect with me for a moment?  You and I are not here by chance, but by God's choosing.  His hand formed us and made us the person we are.  Our God compares us to no one else - we are one of a kind.  Life goes on.  We lack nothing His grace can't give us.  He has allowed us to be here at this special time in history to fulfill a special purpose.  May we not disappoint Him.
 
This Christmas, why not invite someone back to the Church, who has previously known Christ - and doesn't believe in Him anymore?  I think this is the saddest thing of all.  Maybe they are embarrassed or afraid to come back?  You could make all the difference.

May this Christmas be the best ever!
Sister Francelle sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com 

No comments: