I have often wondered why God picked shepherds as the very first ones to visit Him. Shepherds were among the lowest paid workers, they had a boring job, were uneducated, couldn't read or write, and often they were "smelly," because of the their work with the animals. People looked down on them. But God didn't look down on them because He chose them to be the first to visit Him.
At Christmas, I try to put myself in place of the shepherds. How would I feel, if, suddenly, in the middle of the night, I saw a very bright light and a heavenly voice said to me, "Fear not! I bring you good tidings of great joy! Christ, the Savior, is born on this very night. You will find him wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger because there was no room for them any place else." I would think I was dreaming at first, then I would be scared to death, but when the other shepherds who had also been sleeping with me under the stars, saw and heard the same great news, I would believe it.
My first thought would probably be - Why me? Why us? Why would God choose lowly sheep herders to be the first ones to hear the greatest news in the history of the world? To actually be invited to see and hold the beautiful Savior in my arms? Why would hundreds of angels be singing such a beautiful song to lowly shepherds? "Glory to God in the highest and peace to men of good will," they sang. It is a taste of heaven! The angels promised that glorious gift of Peace, I believe shepherds were chosen because of their great faith. They didn't demand proof - without question, they believed the angel and hurried to visit the Divine Babe. They had generosity - they immediately gave what they could - when they visited the King; they must have brought sheep's milk, a blanket of lamb's wool to keep Him warm and perhaps some fruit among other things. Most of all, they brought themselves, as a generous gift to Jesus on that first Christmas. They had humility because they were ready to lower themselves and bow down to Jesus, as they kissed his little hands and feet.
Most of all, the shepherds had LOVE! They gave Jesus their hearts, just as He wants our hearts this Christmas and always - He is looking for hearts full of forgiveness. No matter what has happened to us in the past, we will never have peace until we forgive - we've all been trashed, beaten down, looked down on or snubbed at one time or another, but with God's help, we can rise above that and let the Peace of Christmas into our hearts. Don't let the devil keep you away from God.
No matter how unworthy you may feel, please don't be afraid, as Jesus asks for your heart. When Our Blessed Mother spoke to Juan Diego 500 years ago in Mexico, she told him, "Do not let anything bother you, and do not be afraid of any illness, pain or accident." We all worry about illness, pain and accidents, but we are asked not to worry. Fear and worry destroy our peace. Only when we replace them with trust that all is happening according to God's will, will our peace return.
As Jesus himself said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God and trust in Me." -John 14.
May the New Year be filled with Peace, Joy and Hppiness!
Sister Francelle sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment