Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Words


Dearest Ones,

All too often, we throw out words without thinking - I know I do.  Our words can do enormous good - or enormous damage.  It's so easy to blurt out words when under pressure.  Although we have no intention of hurting others, our words can cause great damage.  It's hard to believe the same tongue that speaks life-giving words can also speak words that bring great sorrow.

Perhaps you may have heard destructive words as a child you've never been able to forget.  "You're dumb.  You won't amount to anything.  I wish you'd never been born."  We can't control the words that are spoken to us, but we can control the words we speak to others.  Many times we don't realize how much our words offend.  We need to ask the Lord to open our eyes to ways that our words are hurtful.  May our words give blessing and hope to those around us.

Sit back and recall some words that encouraged you, like:  "I believe in you.  Don't give up!  You can do it."  I'm so grateful to those who speak affirming words to me.  I thank God for the healing words of my family and friends. If I am a hateful person, I will speak hateful words.  But if I am a person whose heart is connected to Jesus Christ, then I will speak wise words that are full of love and truth.

We can't take back words that have been said but we can ask the Lord to change our hearts so we can speak words in the future that heal.  "A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret."  Proverbs 11:13.  A gossip cannot be trusted.  Some people think listening to gossip is OK.  It's not only wrong to gossip, but it's also wrong to listen to gossip.  When we do, our ears become like garbage cans.

Before repeating information, ask yourself, "Would the person who shared with me want me to repeat it?"   Too often we let our words run unchecked.  Even though we may later regret our words, we can never take them back.  Do you say everything you think or feel?  Or do you carefully choose your words?

Soft, gentle words give encouragement.  Try saying some of these gentle words to those around you:  "I love you....I'm praying for you....I'm so proud of you....I'm sorry I treated you that way....Would you please forgive me?...I appreciate you....You're such a blessing!" 

We might think, It's just a tiny lie, a little bit of gossip, but it's the truth...yet we're reminded in James 3:5, "the tongue is a small member, yet how great a forest is set on fire with only a tiny spark."  A little child, a spouse or lifelong friend may be wounded because of just a "little" reckless word.

We don't realize what a profound effect our cutting remarks can have on others. we may say we are just being honest or funny, when, in fact our words are meant to wound and sting.  Even when we believe we have a legitmate criticism, we can still choose our words with care.  for example, when we have to correct someone, we can soften the impact by beginning with a few words of praise, like "I really appreciate the way your started this, however, I think we could improve it if we...." rather than "This terrible.  Do it over."  If we must criticize, let us do it as if we were the one on the receiving end.
 
If you're like me, you enjoy receiving gifts.  Have you ever thought that each day God can work through you to give priceless gifts to your family?  Wise, kind words are cherished gifts that can change lives. As I wrote this message to you, I became more aware than ever of my need for God to keep watch over my speech.  My natural self wants to blurt out words without thinking, but the Holy Spirit reminds me that my words can eithermake or break someone's day.  See you in eternity!!
 
All my love and prayers,
Sister Francelle
sisterfrancelle.blogspot.com

No comments: